On June 15, 1939, at a meeting held in Milwaukee of the Catholic Hospital Association of the United States and Canada (CHAUSC), two Canadian religious sisters and two priests, who were delegates at the meeting, met with a specific goal in mind—to form a Canadian Council of the CHAUSC.
The formation of the council was based on a number of fundamental considerations which included respect for Canada’s francophone community and the regional composition of Canada. The Council was intended to concern itself exclusively with the opportunities and challenges affecting Canadian Catholic hospitals.
The first elections of the Council took place in the fall of 1939 in Toronto. However, it was not until 1942 that the Catholic Hospital Council of Canada was founded as a completely independent organization.
In 1954, the name was changed to the Catholic Hospital Association of Canada. In 1963 long term care facilities were invited to become members of the Association. To reflect this new composition of membership, the name of the organization was changed again in 1976 to its present title, the Catholic Health Association of Canada.
After over three decades, on April 24, 2009, the CHAC Board of Directors proposed a redesign of the national association to change the structures to better support the mission and ministry of Catholic health care in Canada.
The proposal moved the organization from a national association of members to a new model of an alliance of Catholic health care Sponsor/owners to highlight the leadership responsibility and accountability for the ministry that rest with the Sponsors.
The proposal was unanimously approved by the delegates at the Annual Assembly. With that vote the Catholic Health Association of Canada ceased to exist and the Catholic Health Alliance of Canada formed.
The Catholic Health Alliance of Canada is now made up of representatives of 14 Sponsor organizations who meet regularly as a Governing Council to strengthen Catholic health care across the country, collaborate on initiatives, and unify their voices for the common good.
Documenting the legacy and contribution of the Congregations of Religious Women in Canada, their mission in health care, and the founding and operation of Catholic hospitals. LEARN MORE